Today's Hours
Museum: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Gardens: 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Today's Hours
Museum: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Gardens: 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Voorhis, Daniel van
(1751-1824)
Collection: American Collection
Specialty: Silver
Born of Dutch ancestry on Long Island at Oyster Bay, Daniel Van Voorhis
was a highly skilled craftsman who began his career as a silversmith in
Philadelphia about 1780. An advertisement in the Pennsylvania Gazette
(which was edited and published by Benjamin Franklin) of May 6, 1782,
listed his shop as being on Front Street in Philadelphia. Later that year,
Van Voorhis removed his business to Princeton, New Jersey, where he worked
until the latter part of 1784, when he moved to New York City.

The New York newspapers of his time disclose a number of partnerships
which Van Voorhis formed and dissolved within a short period. His first
was with Simeon A. Bayley and William Coley, and the firm advertised in
the supplement of the Independent Journal and the General Advertiser on
December 18, 1784, as being "Real Manufacturers in Gold, Silver, Jewellery
&c. at No. 27 Hanover Square. . ." A silversmith by the name of Cox was
taken into the firm shortly thereafter, but his existence as a co-partner
was brief. Cox left the firm in April of the following year, and by July
of 1785, Bayley also had departed to set up his own shop at 237 Queen
Street.

Van Voorhis and Coley continued as partners at 27 Hanover Square until
sometime in the early part of 1787 when Coley left New York to become a
maker of dies and an assistant in striking coins in Rupert, Vermont. On
June 7, 1787, Van Voorhis and Coley entered into a lengthy agreement with
eight other men from Vermont, Connecticut, and New York, which was
evidently intended to cover an extensive business in striking copper
coins. An account of this copartnership concludes that very little, if
anything, ever came of it. The part which Van Voorhis played in this
venture is not known; nor is there any evidence to show that he became
seriously involved in striking coins.

Sometime between 1787, when the partnership of Van Voorhis and Coley was
dissolved, and 1789, Van Voorhis moved his shop and continued business
alone at No.7 Queen Street until 1797. In that year he formed another
partnership, this time with his son, Thomas Richards Van Voorhis, and the
firm of Daniel Van Voorhis and Son continued until his son's death in
1805.

For the ten years following his son's death, Van Voorhis appears to have
worked alone. From 1815-1819, he is listed in the New York Directory as a
Weigher in the Custom House, and five years later he died in Brooklyn, New
York.